Saturday, January 24, 2015

A Sage in Song and Silence



A Sage in Song and Silence

The summer skies were doleful,
on morning walk today,
the breeze was brisk and biting,
with clouds all made of clay.

Not all was sad and gloomy,
as rays of light crept through,
its warmth gave me some comfort,
against the greyish hue.

I walk to bring reflection,
convention fills my needs,
that ponders life’s connection,
its nature and its deeds.

Glancing up across the green,
old tree was in my sight,
its presence like a beacon,
that called me to its light.

Drawn towards this ancient sage,
I quickened pace with cane,
made my way to wooden bench,
across the grassy plane.

Closing in on sanctum’s space,
melody touched my ears,
made me feel so young again,
it shed my growing years.

I searched the grounds in wonder,
to find this voice so fair.
its flow so captivating,
it danced upon the air.

And there she was under oak,
in arms a child she cuddled,
her soothing words so peaceful,
voice so very subtle.

Content for rest, I sat me down,
and listened to her sing,
in every note, every word,
enchantment she did bring.

“Come back to me little one,
come back to mother so”,
and then a coo would follow,
by her baby all a glow.

She paused for just a moment,
smiling back with her son,
such vision and such aura,
that touched them both as one.

But heavy sleep did follow,
as baby’s eyes soon closed,
mother continued singing,
as if slumber was opposed.

The tree that they were under,
seemed advanced for winters sleep,
with leaves so full of color,
and drained by something deep.

Autumn was not too distant,
as leaves began to fall,
disturbing apparition,
on ancient tree so tall.

Absorbed in graceful presence,
I saw she began to weep,
her eyes were red and swollen,
and baby fast asleep.

Breathing deep she drew the light,
from tree they were under,
as more leaves fell upon them,
I stared at her in wonder.

Newly soothing smile appeared,
that ceased the woman’s tears,
baby’s laugh emerged so bright,
appeasing mother’s fears.

And then I felt the shadow,
hovering above the tree,
a form so dark and crooked,
that reeked with malady.

Staring down with demon eyes,
its glance as cold as steel,
darkness cloaked on raven wings,
that came for souls to steal.

Shadows drank up all the light,
a chill before the storm,
sent a spike down through the tree,
its bark no longer warm.

The baby’s smile disappeared,
as demon’s eyes inflamed,
mother battled all her strength,
to save the soul it claimed.

Singing broke the shadow’s spell,
her whispers like a sage,
the demons howl grew louder,
its hearth now full of rage.

I moved myself between them,
and cursed the shadows gall,
daring beast to strike me down,
I pledged that it would fall.

I called upon the might within,
for power and connection,
to shield them both from darkness,
providing them protection.

I raised my cane to the air,
with crystal it concealed,
waves of light emerged from it,
extending like a shield.

The demon turned towards me,
its glare did pierce my heart,
and then the beast descended,
to rip my soul apart.

Light met shadow, rift appeared,
the crash unleashed a storm,
a thundering existence,
that swallowed shadows form.

Just as quick, the sun then shone,
the air was warm and still,
and sagely oak that clung to life,
the tree no longer ill.

I moved towards the woman,
her strength and face were bare,
but underneath the blanket, 
a waiting smile was there.
 ----------------------
Edited: Apr 23rd, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Activist Poet

Poetry & Prose

Best Rock Music of 2021

World United Music Promotions

Art & Expression of SF Brennan

The Immune System & the Dangers of a Vaccine after Immunity reached - Professor Sucharit Bhakdi, MD

Healthy Athletes and Heart Problems After Getting the Jab