Wednesday, January 28, 2015

If I Had Wings



If I Had Wings

Standing in my expensive flat,
of moldy walls and empty vat,
the landlord’s rent I cannot pay,
when strangers knock, I hush away.

My breathing’s short and nose is froze,
while body’s numb from head to toes,
the power’s out, extension ends,
there’s no one left, that I call friends.

Packed up and left, some have died,
while their faces fade on the slide,
and families gone, if they were that,
I’m ostracized by autocrat.

Glancing out from my window pane,
see neighbors reeling under strain,
they’re gathered round a barrel fire,
with faces blank and looking dire.

The town decays as sorrows go,
all unemployed long time ago,
we share the strife the banks have brought,
the trades we knew are now untaught.

Yet fluttering wings catch my eyes,
as sullen thoughts divert to skies,
where starling murmurs grace the air,
in sync their flight without a care.

So lucky are the birds I see,
to and FRO they fly as they please,
as natures thrill, they chase the clouds,
above despondent saddened crowds.

Content and happy, birds do seem,
now huddled around chimney’s beam,
no taxes, rent or bills to pay,
they’re free to roam the Earth today.

Yet here inside my thoughts go blank,
the birds don’t seem to need a bank,
they can fly away and be free,
if only I had wings on me.
------------------------------

About this Poem: “If I Had Wings” is about the realities of economic hardship that more and more people are experiencing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Activist Poet

Poetry & Prose

Best Rock Music of 2021

World United Music Promotions

Art & Expression of SF Brennan

The Immune System & the Dangers of a Vaccine after Immunity reached - Professor Sucharit Bhakdi, MD

Healthy Athletes and Heart Problems After Getting the Jab